Chiari Malformation (pronounced Kee-ah-ree) a serious neurological disorder where the bottom part of the brain, the cerebellum, descends out of the skull and crowds the spinal cord, putting pressure on both the brain and spine and causing many symptoms.

August 28, 2010

Back Story

I have been having dizzy spells where I would loose my vision for most of my adult life. But after my horse accident in 2007 they got more frequent. I had my second son in 2008 and after I received the epidural thats when the pain started with the headrushes. Just with the headrushes at first. Let me explain the pain it feels like someone hammering a nail into the back of your head. Then the pain started coming any time I raised my voice again not all that frequent maybe just once a month or so. The last several months though the pain started coming once a week at first then several times a week. The last two months though it has been almost a daily occurence and I thought ok I have migraine headaches. I was diagnosed 3 months ago with IBS as well not thinking anything was related I went to my doctor 2 months ago and asked him if I was anemic because I was exhausted all the time. No matter how much I slept I always woke up tired. Then the headaches got to much for me to handle so this last month I went in to see him again feeling like this was all in my head and they were going to think I was crazy. I brought up the headaches too him and said I had found something on the internet that I thought explained everything. He was very accomodating and said sure tell me and we will look into it. I told him I thought it could be a Chiari Malformation. He said those are really rare and I think what you have is Migraine headaches but lets do an MRI to be sure there is nothing funky going on. I said ok and off to MRI I went a week later. I had the MRI at 4 on a Tuesday by 2 on Wedsnday I got a phonecall from my doctor. He said Tiffany you were right You have a Chiari Malformation type 1. So I got off the phone with him in shock I went straight to the hospital and picked up a copy of my mri and my results I have a 1.14 cm decention of the cerebellar tonsils past the foramen magnum.

No comments:

Post a Comment